1st December 2015 at 3:28 pm #977AnonymousInactive
I think I have a first ed. third state, although I’m not sure it fits the description precisely
Not in very good condition but might be of interest, if not great value.
From the page on this website I think I’ve identified most of the third state features:
Just ‘Quay Street’, there is no ’11’, on title-page.
Moon present p.20
Word ‘stream’ present end of p.271.
The element of doubt I have comes from the description for third state thus:
“the heading of the front endpaper is changed to ‘II QUAY STREET, BRISTOL’.”
My copy has ’11 Quay Street’ but is at bottom of page, beneath a list of 37 books.
At the top is:
Arrowsmith’s Bristol Library.
Fcap. 8vo, stiff covers, 1/-; cloth 1/6.
Saturday Review speaks of ARROWSMITH’s BRISTOL LIBRARY “as necessary to the traveller as a rug in winter and a dust-coat in summer.”
I’m not well-versed in the jargon associated with bindings, but I can tell you this copy has been rebound with marbled boards (Dutch Marble I think), and a leather spine and corners. The leather spine is damaged and split.
Inside front cover has a purple label : “W.H.Smith & Son’s Subscription Library” with detailed costs for annual fees etc.
I have no idea of value, but would be interested to hear if this did or did not fit with what was already known and if it is indeed a third state 1st Edn. I can send images if required.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Alliance of Literary Societies
- Anthologies containing works by Jerome
- Audio recordings
- Books with contributions by Jerome
- Forgot Password
- Jerome k Jerome was here
- Jerome The Man
- Map of the River Thames – 1884
- Newspaper and periodical contributions by Jerome – correspondence
- Newspaper contributions by Jerome
- Parson Clapp of Appledore
- Periodical contributions by Jerome
- Periodicals edited by Jerome
- Playwriting – A Handbook for Would-Be Dramatic Authors
- Samson Fox
- The Wit and Wisdom of Jerome
- Three Men – The Facts
- Unpublished plays by Jerome
- 01. On the Stage – and Off: the Brief Career of a Would-be Actor
- 02. Barbara. A Play in One Act
- 03. The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 04. When Greek Meets Greek
- 05. Sunset
- Jerome In Pictures
- Photo gallery
- 06. Fennel. A New Romantic Play
- 07. Playwriting: a Handbook for Would-be Dramatic Authors
- 08. Stage-land
- 09. Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog)
- 10. Told After Supper
- Jerome In Words
- 11. Diary of a Pilgrimage
- 12. Weeds. A Story in Seven Chapters.
- 13. Novel Notes
- 14. John Ingerfield, and Other Stories
- 15. My First Book
- 16. The Prude’s Progress
- 17. Biarritz
- 18. Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green
- 19. The Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 20. Three Men on the Bummel
- 21. Three Men on Wheels
- 22. The Observations of Henry
- 23. Miss Hobbs
- 24. Paul Kelver
- 25. Tea-Table Talk
- 26. Woodbarrow Farm
- 27. Tommy and Co.
- 28. American Wives and Others
- 29. Idle Ideas in 1905
- 30. The Passing of the Third Floor Back and Other Stories
- The JKJ Society
- 31. The Passing of the Third Floor Back
- 32. The Angel and the Author – and Others
- 33. Fanny and the Servant Problem
- 34. They and I
- 35. The Passing of the Third Floor Back. An Idle Fancy in a Prologue, a Play and an Epilogue
- 36. The Master of Mrs. Chilvers
- 37. Robina in Search of a Husband
- 38. Malvina of Brittany
- 39. The Street of the Blank Wall and Other Stories
- 40. All Roads Lead to Calvary
- 41. Anthony John, a Biography
- 42. The Celebrity. A Play in three Acts
- 43. My Life and Times
- 44. The Soul of Nicholas Snyders
- 45. A Comment on Bicycles and Cycling Posters in the Nineties