- *The Observations of Henry. Bristol, J.W. Arrowsmith, 1901.
18 2-128. Pp. 1-8 9-186 .
Contents: 1 advertisement for Robinson’s Patent Barley; 2 blank; 3 title-page; 4 [rule] / [gothic type face] Arrowsmith’s Bristol Library. / VOL. LXXXVII. / [rule]; 5 CONTENTS. / [short rule]; 6 blank; 7 half-title THE GHOST OF THE / MARCHIONESS OF APPLEFORD.; 8 advertisement for Lavertons Ltd.; 9-43 The Ghost of the / Marchioness of Appleford.; 44 blank; 45 half-title THE USES AND ABUSES OF / JOSEPH.; 46 blank; 47-77 The Uses and Abuses / of Joseph.; 78 blank; 79 half-title THE SURPRISE OF MR. MILBERRY; 80 blank; 81-110 The Surprise of / Mr. Milberry.; 111 half-title THE PROBATION OF JAMES / WRENCH.; 112 blank; 113-49 The Probation of / James Wrench.; 150 blank; 151 half-title THE WOOING OF TOM SLEIGHT’S / WIFE.; 152 blank; 153-86 The Wooing of / Tom Sleight’s Wife.;  Price Six Shillings each. [short rule] [list of 16 titles, beginning with The Prisoner of Zenda]; [2-3] Arrowsmith’s 3/6 Series. / Crown 8vo., cloth. / [short rule] [list of 39 numbered titles, including vol. I Three Men in a Boat, vol. III Diary of a Pilgrimage, and vol. XXXVI Three Men on the Bummel];  advertisement for William Cowlin & Son;  advertisement for Crispin’s, Bristol;  advertisement for Dr. J. Collis Brown’s Chlorodyne.
Printed on wove paper, size 160 x 102mm.
**Dark brown cloth, with black lettering on front, gilt on spine; spine: [rule] / OBSER- / VATIONS / OF / HENRY / JEROME K. / JEROME / [rule]
Listed in English Catalogue, March 1901, 1/6.
Copies seen: FR; APR (4); Boston Public Library.
Reprinted 1918 as “New edition,” price 1/-
Also issued in paperback, price 1/-.
Cover yellow and red, lettered in black on yellow front, in yellow on red blocks in upper corners and at foot.
Copies seen: APR.
- The Observations of Henry, and others. Bristol, J.W. Arrowsmith, 1920. 2/-.
Olive-green cloth with Arrowsmith logo and ‘ARROWSMITH / BRISTOL’ on the spine.
Also pale blue cloth with only ‘ARROWSMITH’ on the spine
Copies seen: APR (5).
- *The Observations of Henry. New York, Dodd, Mead and Company, 1901.
?4 1-118 124. Pp.  1-3 4-182 183-84.
Contents:  half-title: The Observations of Henry;  blank;  title-page;  Copyright, 1901, / BY DODD, MEAD AND COMPANY / Copyright, 1898 and 1900, / BY JEROME K. JEROME / [short rule] / UNIVERSITY PRESS · JOHN WILSON / AND SON · CAMBRIDGE, U. S. A.;  Contents;  blank;  Illustrations;  blank; 1-182 text (each story has half-title); 183-84 blank.
Printed on laid paper, chain lines vertical, size 180 x 119mm.
Coloured frontispiece inserted after ?.1, and coloured plates face pp. 34 (listed on  as 35), 64, 102, 126, 162.
*Green cloth, lettered in white on front and spine; spine: THE / OBSERVA? / TIONS / OF / HENRY / [short rule] / JEROME / K. JEROME / DODD, MEAD / & COMPANY
Listed in Publisher’s Weekly 1523, 6 April 1901; American Catalog 1900-1905, $1.25; reviewed in New York Times, 20 April 1901, 9:1.
Copies seen: FR (2); APR; Library of Congress – copyright entry 19 February 1901, acquisition date 27 March 1901; Bodleian Library – Arch H e.160; Arch H e.161 with title-page dedication: ‘From the Author / to his Sweetheart / May 1901’; University of Miami Library.
Copies dated 1901 also exist in smaller format, bound in red or brown cloth.
Copies seen: APR (1 red, 1 brown).
- *The Observations of Henry. New York, Dodd, Mead & Company.
Unsigned, 1-128 (including endpapers). Obsolete signatures 1-12 on 3rd leaf of each gathering. Pp.  1-3 4-182 183-88.
Contents:  paste-down; [2-4] blank; 1 half-title [double rule] / The Observations of Henry / [double rule]; 2 blank; 3 4-182 text, as in first Dodd, Mead edition, above; 183-87 blank; 188 paste-down.
The text is printed from the plates of the 1st American edition, but with narrower margins. Printed on wove paper, size 153 x 103mm.
Monochrome frontispiece (using illustration that faced p. 162 in first edition) and title-page, on plate paper, inserted between 1.3 and 1.4.
*Brown cloth, with illustration of Henry on front, and black lettering on front and spine; spine: [grey rule] The / OBSER- / VATIONS / of / HENRY / [grey rule] JEROME / [grey rule] / DODD, MEAD / & COMPANY.
Copies seen: FR.
Also issued in paper in the Phenix Series, no. 57, price 40¢.
- The Observations of Henry. Toronto, The Copp Clark Company, Limited, 1901
Unsigned, 1-128. Obsolete signatures 1-12 on fifth leaf of each signature.
Pp.  1-3 4-182 183-84.
Contents:  half-title;  blank;  title-page;  Entered according to Act of the Parliament of Canada, in the year one / thousand nine hundred and one, by THE COPP, CLARK CO., LIMITED, / in the Office of the Minister of Agriculture.;  Contents;  blank;  Illustrations;  blank; 1-3 4-182 text as Dodd, Mead edition, above; 183-84 blank.
Apart from changes on  and , printed from the plates of the Dodd, Mead edition.
Printed on laid paper, chain lines vertical, size 183 x 121mm.
Coloured frontispiece inserted after 1.1, and coloured plates face pp. 35, 64, 102, 126, 162.
Green cloth, lettered in white on front and spine.
Copies seen: FR.
- The Observations of Henry Freeport, New York, Books for Libraries Press, 1969.
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Alliance of Literary Societies
- Anthologies containing works by Jerome
- Audio recordings
- Books with contributions by Jerome
- Forgot Password
- Jerome k Jerome was here
- Jerome The Man
- Jerome was here
- Map of the River Thames – 1884
- Newspaper and periodical contributions by Jerome – correspondence
- Newspaper contributions by Jerome
- Parson Clapp of Appledore
- Periodical contributions by Jerome
- Periodicals edited by Jerome
- Playwriting – A Handbook for Would-Be Dramatic Authors
- Samson Fox
- The Wit and Wisdom of Jerome
- Three Men – The Facts
- Unpublished plays by Jerome
- 01. On the Stage – and Off: the Brief Career of a Would-be Actor
- 02. Barbara. A Play in One Act
- 03. The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 04. When Greek Meets Greek
- 05. Sunset
- Jerome In Pictures
- Photo gallery
- 06. Fennel. A New Romantic Play
- 07. Playwriting: a Handbook for Would-be Dramatic Authors
- 08. Stage-land
- 09. Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog)
- 10. Told After Supper
- Jerome In Words
- 11. Diary of a Pilgrimage
- 12. Weeds. A Story in Seven Chapters.
- 13. Novel Notes
- 14. John Ingerfield, and Other Stories
- 15. My First Book
- 16. The Prude’s Progress
- 17. Biarritz
- 18. Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green
- 19. The Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 20. Three Men on the Bummel
- 21. Three Men on Wheels
- 22. The Observations of Henry
- 23. Miss Hobbs
- 24. Paul Kelver
- 25. Tea-Table Talk
- 26. Woodbarrow Farm
- 27. Tommy and Co.
- 28. American Wives and Others
- 29. Idle Ideas in 1905
- 30. The Passing of the Third Floor Back and Other Stories
- The JKJ Society
- 31. The Passing of the Third Floor Back
- 32. The Angel and the Author – and Others
- 33. Fanny and the Servant Problem
- 34. They and I
- 35. The Passing of the Third Floor Back. An Idle Fancy in a Prologue, a Play and an Epilogue
- 36. The Master of Mrs. Chilvers
- 37. Robina in Search of a Husband
- 38. Malvina of Brittany
- 39. The Street of the Blank Wall and Other Stories
- 40. All Roads Lead to Calvary
- 41. Anthony John, a Biography
- 42. The Celebrity. A Play in three Acts
- 43. My Life and Times
- 44. The Soul of Nicholas Snyders
- 45. A Comment on Bicycles and Cycling Posters in the Nineties