12th April 2016 at 2:41 pm #996
I have in front of me a bound edition of the one-act play “Barbra” in Esperanto, privately printed in Bradford in 1923. Do you know of it? If not I could provide bibliographical details and images. The translation is by Flora Hardcastle, and it reads well in Esperanto. It is dedicated to an Esperanto pioneer in Yorkshire called John Thomas Holmes (born 1868), and bears his signature.
I suspect that it is known that “Three men in a Boat” was published in Esperanto, but I wonder whether this Yorkshire edition of a JFK play is known.
13th April 2016 at 11:09 am #1000
Our wonderful bibliography, as you will have seen, does not include this edition which must qualify as one of the most obscure (and unlikely!) pieces of Jeromianalia – a new word which I’ve just coined. Is there any chance you could pass on details to me, possibly with a photo of the cover, so I can add it to Frank Rodger’s definitive bibliography?
Jeremy NicholasQuote13th April 2016 at 4:35 pm #1003
Jerome K. Jerome’s “Barbra” in Esperanto
Here are the details:
Barbra (The translated intentionally dropped an ‘a’.
de Jerome K. Jerome ;
kun la afabla permeso de la aŭtoro tradukis S-ino Flora Hardcastle.
Published by G. Luscombe in Bradford .
“kun la afabla permeso de la aŭtoro” means “by kind permission of the author”.
I’d be happy to send images, if you can send me an email address. I sdon’t hjave the skills to attach them here. If this modest booklet deserves a place in a library somewhere, I’d be happy to donate this copy.
13th April 2016 at 4:43 pm #1004
Bill Chapman16th April 2016 at 10:47 am #1005
Looks as though I may be in, though I probably won’t remember how I got here.
Did have a query about a possible issue state — or maybe, less interestingly, a question of misbound pages — with the first edition (as per your good description) of STAGE-LAND. My copy reverses the order of the prelims: Designation page: List of Citizens: Title page: verso with Brettel: blank: full page illustration of The Stage Hero: and on per norm.
So. Issue or binding error?
John CluteQuote25th August 2016 at 7:22 pm #1017
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Alliance of Literary Societies
- Anthologies containing works by Jerome
- Audio recordings
- Books with contributions by Jerome
- Jerome the man
- Map of the River Thames – 1884
- Newspaper and periodical contributions by Jerome – correspondence
- Newspaper contributions by Jerome
- Periodical contributions by Jerome
- Periodicals edited by Jerome
- Three Men – The Facts
- Unpublished plays by Jerome
- 01. On the Stage – and Off: the Brief Career of a Would-be Actor
- 02. Barbara. A Play in One Act
- 03. The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 04. When Greek Meets Greek
- 05. Sunset
- Jerome In Pictures
- Photo gallery
- 06. Fennel. A New Romantic Play
- 07. Playwriting: a Handbook for Would-be Dramatic Authors
- 08. Stage-land
- 09. Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog)
- 10. Told After Supper
- Jerome In Words
- 11. Diary of a Pilgrimage
- 12. Weeds. A Story in Seven Chapters.
- 13. Novel Notes
- 14. John Ingerfield, and Other Stories
- 15. My First Book
- 16. The Prude’s Progress
- 17. Biarritz
- 18. Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green
- 19. The Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 20. Three Men on the Bummel
- 21. Three Men on Wheels
- 22. The Observations of Henry
- 23. Miss Hobbs
- 24. Paul Kelver
- 25. Tea-Table Talk
- 26. Woodbarrow Farm
- 27. Tommy and Co.
- 28. American Wives and Others
- 29. Idle Ideas in 1905
- 30. The Passing of the Third Floor Back and Other Stories
- The JKJ Society
- 31. The Passing of the Third Floor Back
- 32. The Angel and the Author – and Others
- 33. Fanny and the Servant Problem
- 34. They and I
- 35. The Passing of the Third Floor Back. An Idle Fancy in a Prologue, a Play and an Epilogue
- 36. The Master of Mrs. Chilvers
- 37. Robina in Search of a Husband
- 38. Malvina of Brittany
- 39. The Street of the Blank Wall and Other Stories
- 40. All Roads Lead to Calvary
- 41. Anthony John, a Biography
- 42. The Celebrity. A Play in three Acts
- 43. My Life and Times
- 44. The Soul of Nicholas Snyders
- 45. A Comment on Bicycles and Cycling Posters in the Nineties