- *My First Book… London, Chatto & Windus, 1894.
8 a4 B-U8 X4. Pp. i-vii viii-xxiv 1-3 4-309 310-12.
Contents: i half-title: MY FIRST BOOK; ii PRINTED BY / SPOTTISWOODE & CO., NEW-STREET SQUARE / LONDON; iii blank; iv frontispiece (portrait); v title-page; vi blank; vii viii-xvi INTRODUCTION / BY JEROME K. JEROME; xvii-xviii CONTENTS; xix-xxiv LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS; 1 blank; 2 portrait of Walter Besant; 3 4-309 text; 310 blank; 311 ornament, decorative boat on water; 312 blank.
Printed on wove paper, size 201 x 142mm.
The illustrations are by various artists, though George Hutchinson and A. S. Boyd predominate, and there are some photos. Within each chapter, they are in the same sequence as in the original articles in The Idler, though some are omitted.
Endpapers are patterned, with a light green floral design.
*Dull blue cloth, lettered in gold and black on front and spine; spine: My / First / Book / With a Preface / by / Jerome K. / Jerome / Chatto & Windus.
Inserted after the final gathering is a 32 page Chatto & Windus list dated April, 1894, printed on poor wove paper. The entire text on each page is within double rules; pp. 1-25 are an alphabetical list by author, after which there are lists of books in series.
Previously published in The Idler, vol. 1, no. 5, June 1892, to vol. 5, no. 1, February 1894, and vol. 6, no. 1, August 1894. The sequence of articles in the book differs slightly from The Idler sequence. Reviewed in To-Day, 6 October 1894.
Copies seen: FR, APR (4).
- My First Book… New edition. London, Chatto & Windus, 1897.
Collation, pagination and contents the same as the previous entry; except for the new edition statement on the title page, printed from the plates of the first edition.
Printed on wove paper, size 204 x 143mm., fore-edge and bottom edge uncut.
Light red-brown cloth, lettered in gold and black on front and spine; spine: My / First / Book / Jerome K. / Jerome / and others / Chatto & Windus.
Inserted after the final gathering is a 32 page Chatto & Windus list dated April, 1894, printed on wove paper; it is identical with the list inserted in the first edition, except that the double rules around the text are omitted and the paper is of better quality.
Listed in English Catalogue, January 1897, 3/6.
Copies seen: FR; APR.
- My first book… Philadelphia, Lippincott.
Listed in American Catalog, 1890-95, $2.50.
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Alliance of Literary Societies
- Anthologies containing works by Jerome
- Audio recordings
- Books with contributions by Jerome
- Forgot Password
- Jerome k Jerome was here
- Jerome The Man
- Map of the River Thames – 1884
- Newspaper and periodical contributions by Jerome – correspondence
- Newspaper contributions by Jerome
- Parson Clapp of Appledore
- Periodical contributions by Jerome
- Periodicals edited by Jerome
- Playwriting – A Handbook for Would-Be Dramatic Authors
- Samson Fox
- The Wit and Wisdom of Jerome
- Three Men – The Facts
- Unpublished plays by Jerome
- 01. On the Stage – and Off: the Brief Career of a Would-be Actor
- 02. Barbara. A Play in One Act
- 03. The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 04. When Greek Meets Greek
- 05. Sunset
- Jerome In Pictures
- Photo gallery
- 06. Fennel. A New Romantic Play
- 07. Playwriting: a Handbook for Would-be Dramatic Authors
- 08. Stage-land
- 09. Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog)
- 10. Told After Supper
- Jerome In Words
- 11. Diary of a Pilgrimage
- 12. Weeds. A Story in Seven Chapters.
- 13. Novel Notes
- 14. John Ingerfield, and Other Stories
- 15. My First Book
- 16. The Prude’s Progress
- 17. Biarritz
- 18. Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green
- 19. The Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 20. Three Men on the Bummel
- 21. Three Men on Wheels
- 22. The Observations of Henry
- 23. Miss Hobbs
- 24. Paul Kelver
- 25. Tea-Table Talk
- 26. Woodbarrow Farm
- 27. Tommy and Co.
- 28. American Wives and Others
- 29. Idle Ideas in 1905
- 30. The Passing of the Third Floor Back and Other Stories
- The JKJ Society
- 31. The Passing of the Third Floor Back
- 32. The Angel and the Author – and Others
- 33. Fanny and the Servant Problem
- 34. They and I
- 35. The Passing of the Third Floor Back. An Idle Fancy in a Prologue, a Play and an Epilogue
- 36. The Master of Mrs. Chilvers
- 37. Robina in Search of a Husband
- 38. Malvina of Brittany
- 39. The Street of the Blank Wall and Other Stories
- 40. All Roads Lead to Calvary
- 41. Anthony John, a Biography
- 42. The Celebrity. A Play in three Acts
- 43. My Life and Times
- 44. The Soul of Nicholas Snyders
- 45. A Comment on Bicycles and Cycling Posters in the Nineties