- *American Wives and Others. New York, Frederick A. Stokes Company, 1904.
Unsigned, 1-238 244. Pp.  i-vi vii-viii 1-3 4-364.
Contents: [1-4] blank; i half-title: AMERICAN WIVES AND OTHERS; ii –iii blank; iv frontispiece; v title-page; v Copyright, 1904, / BY CENTRAL NEWS AND PRESS EXCHANGE / Copyright, 1904, / BY FREDERICK A. STOKES COMPANY. / [short rule] / Published in October, 1904’; vii-viii CONTENTS; 1-3 4-364 text.
Each of the 25 essays in the collection has a half-title, included in the pagination; 20 of them are also in Idle Ideas in 1905, but with different titles, the remaining 5 are in The Angel and the Author – and Others, without titles.
Printed on stout wove paper, size 183 x 127mm.
*Buff cloth with pictorial front, lettered in white on front and spine; spine: AMERICAN / WIVES and / OTHERS / JEROME / K. / JEROME / [ring or hoop outlined in black] / STOKES
Listed in Publisher’s Weekly 1712, 19 November 1904; United States Catalog, 1902-5, $1.50; reviewed in New York Times, 19 November 1904, 786-77.
Copies seen: FR; APR (3); University of California, Berkeley, Library.
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Alliance of Literary Societies
- Anthologies containing works by Jerome
- Audio recordings
- Books with contributions by Jerome
- Jerome the man
- Map of the River Thames – 1884
- Newspaper and periodical contributions by Jerome – correspondence
- Newspaper contributions by Jerome
- Periodical contributions by Jerome
- Periodicals edited by Jerome
- Three Men – The Facts
- Unpublished plays by Jerome
- 01. On the Stage – and Off: the Brief Career of a Would-be Actor
- 02. Barbara. A Play in One Act
- 03. The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 04. When Greek Meets Greek
- 05. Sunset
- Jerome In Pictures
- Photo gallery
- 06. Fennel. A New Romantic Play
- 07. Playwriting: a Handbook for Would-be Dramatic Authors
- 08. Stage-land
- 09. Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog)
- 10. Told After Supper
- Jerome In Words
- 11. Diary of a Pilgrimage
- 12. Weeds. A Story in Seven Chapters.
- 13. Novel Notes
- 14. John Ingerfield, and Other Stories
- 15. My First Book
- 16. The Prude’s Progress
- 17. Biarritz
- 18. Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green
- 19. The Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 20. Three Men on the Bummel
- 21. Three Men on Wheels
- 22. The Observations of Henry
- 23. Miss Hobbs
- 24. Paul Kelver
- 25. Tea-Table Talk
- 26. Woodbarrow Farm
- 27. Tommy and Co.
- 28. American Wives and Others
- 29. Idle Ideas in 1905
- 30. The Passing of the Third Floor Back and Other Stories
- The JKJ Society
- 31. The Passing of the Third Floor Back
- 32. The Angel and the Author – and Others
- 33. Fanny and the Servant Problem
- 34. They and I
- 35. The Passing of the Third Floor Back. An Idle Fancy in a Prologue, a Play and an Epilogue
- 36. The Master of Mrs. Chilvers
- 37. Robina in Search of a Husband
- 38. Malvina of Brittany
- 39. The Street of the Blank Wall and Other Stories
- 40. All Roads Lead to Calvary
- 41. Anthony John, a Biography
- 42. The Celebrity. A Play in three Acts
- 43. My Life and Times
- 44. The Soul of Nicholas Snyders
- 45. A Comment on Bicycles and Cycling Posters in the Nineties