- *Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1897.
4 1-228 234. Pp.  1 2-360.
Contents:  half-title: SKETCHES IN LAVENDER / BLUE AND GREEN;  ABERDEEN UNIVERSITY PRESS;  title-page;  blank;  La-ven-der’s blue, did-dle, did-dle! [etc.];  blank;  CONTENTS.;  blank; 1 2-19 SKETCHES IN LAVENDER. / REGINALD BLAKE, FINANCIER AND CAD.; 20-56 AN ITEM OF FASHIONABLE INTELLIGENCE.; 57-81 BLASÉ BILLY.; 82-104 THE CHOICE OF CYRIL HARJOHN.; 105-28 THE MATERIALISATION OF CHARLES AND / MIVANWAY.; 129-52 PORTRAIT OF A LADY.; 153-67 THE MAN WHO WOULD MANAGE.; 168-81 THE MAN WHO LIVED FOR OTHERS.; 182-98 A MAN OF HABIT.; 199-212 THE ABSENT-MINDED MAN; 213-24 A CHARMING WOMAN.; 225-40 WHIBLEY’S SPIRIT.; 241-58 THE MAN WHO WENT WRONG.; 259-73 THE HOBBY RIDER.; 274-92 THE MAN WHO DID NOT BELIEVE IN LUCK.; 293-308 DICK DUNKERMAN’S CAT.; 309-26 THE MINOR POET’S STORY.; 327-37 THE DEGENERATION OF THOMAS HENRY.; 338-48 THE CITY OF THE SEA.; 349-60 DRIFTWOOD.
Printed on wove paper, size 186 x 123mm.
Inserted after p. 360 is a 32pp. list: MESSRS. LONGMANS, GREEN & CO.’S / CLASSIFIED CATALOGUE / OF / WORKS IN GENERAL LITERATURE.
Patterned endpapers, with repeated design of swan, sailing ship and date 1726.
*Dull greenish-blue cloth, with gilt lettering on front and spine; spine: [blind-stamped double rule] / SKETCHES / IN / LAVENDER / BLUE / AND GREEN / [short rule] / JEROME K./ JEROME / [blind-stamped double rule] / LONGMANS & C°.
Many of the stories were previously serialized in To-Day and The Idler (see details in listing of periodical contributions); “Dick Dunkerman’s Cat” first appeared in City Chimes; the Birmingham Magazine, Illustrated, December 1895.
Listed in English Catalogue, May 1897, 6/-; reviewed in Saturday Review, 83 (5 June 1897): 639-40.
Copies seen: FR; APR (10); Bodleian Library – Arch H e.166 – on half-title “Ettie, Jerome K. Jerome”.
- Sketches in Lavender, Blue, and Green. London, Longmans, 1897. Colonial Library Edition. [1899 reprint states May, 1897, reprinted June, 1897]
Not seen, but presume printed from the plates of the first edition.
- Sketches in Lavender, Blue, and Green. London, Longmans, 1899. Cheap Edition.
Printed from the plates of the first edition.
Lavender cloth, lettered in darker shade on front and spine.
Listed in English Catalogue, January 1899, 3/6.
Copies seen: APR.
- *Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green. New York, Henry Holt and Company, 1897.
Unsigned, 14 2-228 234. Pp. i-iv v-vii viii 1-3 4-337 338 .
Contents: i half-title: SKETCHES IN LAVENDER, BLUE, / AND GREEN; ii list of other Jerome titles in Holt’s Author’s Edition; iii title-page; iv COPYRIGHT, 1897, / BY / HENRY HOLT & CO. / THE MERSHON COMPANY PRESS, / RAHWAY, N.J.; v CONTENTS. / [short rule] (in two groups: TALES and CHARACTERSCAPES); vi blank; vii FULL-PAGE ILLUSTRATIONS (lists frontispiece and plates facing pp. 6, 34, 74, 82, 98, 110, 140, 146 and 176); viii La-ven-der’s blue, did-dle, did-dle! [etc.]; 1 half-title TALES.; 2 blank; 3 4-23 SKETCHES IN LAVENDER , BLUE / AND GREEN. / [short rule] THE MATERIALIZATION OF / CHARLES AND MIVANWAY.; 24-44 THE CHOICE OF CYRIL HARJOHN.; 45-66 BLASÉ BILLY.; 67-87 PORTRAIT OF A LADY.; 88-120 AN ITEM OF FASHIONABLE / INTELLIGENCE. 121-35 DICK DUNKERMAN’S CAT.; 136-53 REGINALD BLAKE, FINANCIER / AND CAD.; 154-72 THE MINOR POET’S STORY.; 173-83 THE CITY OF THE SEA.; 184 blank; 185 half-title CHARACTERSCAPES.; 186 blank; 187-203 THE MAN WHO WENT WRONG.; 204-23 THE MAN WHO DID NOT / BELIEVE IN LUCK.; 224-40 WHIBLEY’S SPIRIT.; 241-50 THE DEGENERATION OF / THOMAS HENRY.; 251-66 THE MAN WHO WOULD / MANAGE.; 267-80 THE MAN WHO LIVED FOR / OTHERS.; 281-96 THE MAN OF HABIT.; 297-311 THE ABSENT-MINDED MAN.; 312-23 A CHARMING WOMAN.; 324-37 THE HOBBY RIDER.; 338 blank;  advertisements for Henry Holt & Co.’s newest books, May, 1897.’
The collection omits “Driftwood,” the final piece in the Longmans, Green edition.
Each chapter begins with a decorative initial. The plates and illustrations are from the original serialized versions in To-Day and Idler.
Printed on wove paper, 186 x 126mm.
Endpapers patterned with a green leafy design.
*Dull blue cloth, with gilt lettering on front and spine; spine: SKETCHES / IN / LAVENDER / BLUE AND / GREEN / [short rule] / JEROME / HENRY HOLT & Cº..
Listed in Publisher’s Weekly 1350, 15 May 1897; American Catalog 1895-1900, $1.25; reviewed in New York Times (Saturday Review of Books and Art), 5 June 1897, 5.
Copies seen: FR; APR (2); Library of Congress.
- Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green. Leipzig, Bernhard Tauchnitz, 1897.
18 2-178 184. Pp. 1-7 8-279 280.
Contents: 1 half-title: COLLECTION / OF / BRITISH AUTHORS / TAUCHNITZ EDITION. / VOL. 3216. / SKETCHES IN LAVENDER, BLUE AND GREEN. / BY / JEROME K. JEROME. / IN ONE VOLUME.; 2 list of other Jerome titles in Tauchnitz editions; 3 title-page; 4 blank; 5 La-ven-der’s blue, did-dle, did-dle! [etc.]; 6 blank; 7-8 CONTENTS. / [short rule]; 9-279 text (sequence as in the Longmans edition); 280 [short rule] / PRINTED BY BERNHARD TAUCHNITZ, LEIPZIG / [short rule].
Printed on wove paper, size 153 x 109mm.
Red cloth, gilt lettered on spine; front: blind-stamped Tauchnitz emblem; spine: [within black rules and black ornamental design] Sketches / in / Lavender / by / Jerome K. / Jerome / TAUCHNITZ / EDITION / ?.
Copies seen: FR; APR(4).
- Sketches in Lavender, Blue, and Green. Bristol, Arrowsmith, 1920.
Light blue cloth, lettered in blue on front and spine..
Listed in English Catalogue, November 1920, 2/-.
Copies seen: APR (2).
- Sketches in Lavender, Blue, and Green. Freeport, New York, Books for Libraries Press, 1971.
Pp. i-iv v-vii viii 1-3 4-337 338
Facsimile of the Holt edition; printed on wove paper, size 195 x 124mm.
Bright green cloth, publisher’s device blind stamped on front; spine lettered in silver.
Copies seen: Library of Congress; Miami-Dade Public Library; Toronto Public Library.
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Alliance of Literary Societies
- Anthologies containing works by Jerome
- Audio recordings
- Books with contributions by Jerome
- Jerome the man
- Map of the River Thames – 1884
- Newspaper and periodical contributions by Jerome – correspondence
- Newspaper contributions by Jerome
- Periodical contributions by Jerome
- Periodicals edited by Jerome
- Three Men – The Facts
- Unpublished plays by Jerome
- 01. On the Stage – and Off: the Brief Career of a Would-be Actor
- 02. Barbara. A Play in One Act
- 03. The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 04. When Greek Meets Greek
- 05. Sunset
- Jerome In Pictures
- Photo gallery
- 06. Fennel. A New Romantic Play
- 07. Playwriting: a Handbook for Would-be Dramatic Authors
- 08. Stage-land
- 09. Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog)
- 10. Told After Supper
- Jerome In Words
- 11. Diary of a Pilgrimage
- 12. Weeds. A Story in Seven Chapters.
- 13. Novel Notes
- 14. John Ingerfield, and Other Stories
- 15. My First Book
- 16. The Prude’s Progress
- 17. Biarritz
- 18. Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green
- 19. The Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 20. Three Men on the Bummel
- 21. Three Men on Wheels
- 22. The Observations of Henry
- 23. Miss Hobbs
- 24. Paul Kelver
- 25. Tea-Table Talk
- 26. Woodbarrow Farm
- 27. Tommy and Co.
- 28. American Wives and Others
- 29. Idle Ideas in 1905
- 30. The Passing of the Third Floor Back and Other Stories
- The JKJ Society
- 31. The Passing of the Third Floor Back
- 32. The Angel and the Author – and Others
- 33. Fanny and the Servant Problem
- 34. They and I
- 35. The Passing of the Third Floor Back. An Idle Fancy in a Prologue, a Play and an Epilogue
- 36. The Master of Mrs. Chilvers
- 37. Robina in Search of a Husband
- 38. Malvina of Brittany
- 39. The Street of the Blank Wall and Other Stories
- 40. All Roads Lead to Calvary
- 41. Anthony John, a Biography
- 42. The Celebrity. A Play in three Acts
- 43. My Life and Times
- 44. The Soul of Nicholas Snyders
- 45. A Comment on Bicycles and Cycling Posters in the Nineties