- *Fanny and the Servant Problem. New York, Samuel French, .
A8 B-E8 F6. Pp. 1-4 5-89 . (French’s Acting Edition. no. 2342).
Contents: 1 half-title: FANNY AND THE SERVANT / PROBLEM; 2 blank; 3 title-page; 4 blank; 5 Produced at the Aldwych Theatre, London, on October / 14th, 1908, with the following cast :– [etc.]; 6 Any costumes or wigs required in the production / of this play may be hired or purchased reasonably / from Messrs. C. H. Fox, Ltd., 27 Wellington Street, / Strand, London; 7-89 text; on 89: printer’s logo; [1-2] advertisements for plays of R. C. Carton, , H. V. Esmond, Madeleine Lucette Ryley, Oscar Wilde, C. Haddon Chambers, Mark Ambient, Arthur Law, Jerome K. Jerome; and Anthony Hope’s Pinkerton’s Peerage;  THE PLAYS OF ALFRED SUTRO
Printed on smooth wove paper, size 174 x 99mm. [Bodleian – 183 x 109mm].
*Brownish-pink cover; inside front and back covers: advertisements for scenery; back cover: FRENCH’S ACTING EDITION — 7s. per Vol., mostly 6d. each [3 column list, from vol. 150, nos. 2236-50 to vol. 156, nos. 2326-40] / [rule] 1s. 6d. net Edition / [list] / 2s. 6d. net Library Edition / [list].
Note that though the cover text and preliminaries of the first edition indicate that this is the English edition, the new York address is given first position on the title-page. Later impressions vary, as do cover design and colour.
*Also appears in brown paper cover as “French’s Standard Library Edition.”
Produced in New York, 1909, as The New Lady Bantock.
Copies seen: FR (2 later impressions); APR (2); British Library – 2304.h.48, date of accession 10 January 1910; Bodleian Library – Mal. I 473 (2342); Library of Congress – copy lacks listing of Anthony Hope’ s Pinkerton’s Peerage on p. 2 of advertisements; University of Illinois Library; (2); University of Toronto Library (later impression).
- *Fanny and the Servant Problem. London, Hodder & Stoughton, .
[rule] / Fanny and / the Servant Problem / A Quite Possible Play in Four Acts / By / Jerome K. Jerome / [double rule] / COPYRIGHT 1909 BY / JEROME KLAPKA JEROME / [rule] / Hodder and Stoughton / Limited London
14 2-114 126. Pp. 1-6 7-97 98-100.
Contents: 1 half-title: [rule] / Fanny and the Servant Problem / [double rule]; 2 blank; 3 title-page; 4 Amateurs wishing to perform this play should apply to: / SAMUEL FRENCH, LTD., / 26 SOUTHAMPTON STREET, / STRAND, W.C.2. / Made and Printed in Great Britain, / Hazell, Watson & Viney, Ld., London and Aylesbury.; 5 FANNY AND THE / SERVANT PROBLEM / THE CHARACTERS; 6 blank; 7-97 text; 98-100 blank.
Printed on wove paper, size 182 x 12mm.
Red cloth, lettered in black on spine: [double rule] / FANNY / AND THE / SERVANT / PROBLEM / JEROME K. / JEROME / [H & S monogram] / [double rule] / HODDER & / STOUGHTON / [double rule]
Listed in English Catalogue of Books, October 1926.
Copies seen: FR; APR (3).
Interesting linksHere are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)
- Anthologies containing works by Jerome
- Books with contributions by Jerome
- Jerome the man
- Map of the River Thames – 1884
- Newspaper and periodical contributions by Jerome – correspondence
- Newspaper contributions by Jerome
- Periodical contributions by Jerome
- Periodicals edited by Jerome
- Three Men – The Facts
- Unpublished plays by Jerome
- 01. On the Stage – and Off: the Brief Career of a Would-be Actor
- 02. Barbara. A Play in One Act
- 03. The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 04. When Greek Meets Greek
- 05. Sunset
- Jerome In Pictures
- Photo gallery
- 06. Fennel. A New Romantic Play
- 07. Playwriting: a Handbook for Would-be Dramatic Authors
- 08. Stage-land
- 09. Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog)
- 10. Told After Supper
- Jerome In Words
- 11. Diary of a Pilgrimage
- 12. Weeds. A Story in Seven Chapters.
- 13. Novel Notes
- 14. John Ingerfield, and Other Stories
- 15. My First Book
- 16. The Prude’s Progress
- 17. Biarritz
- 18. Sketches in Lavender Blue and Green
- 19. The Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow
- 20. Three Men on the Bummel
- 21. Three Men on Wheels
- 22. The Observations of Henry
- 23. Miss Hobbs
- 24. Paul Kelver
- 25. Tea-Table Talk
- 26. Woodbarrow Farm
- 27. Tommy and Co.
- 28. American Wives and Others
- 29. Idle Ideas in 1905
- 30. The Passing of the Third Floor Back and Other Stories
- The JKJ Society
- 31. The Passing of the Third Floor Back
- 32. The Angel and the Author – and Others
- 33. Fanny and the Servant Problem
- 34. They and I
- 35. The Passing of the Third Floor Back. An Idle Fancy in a Prologue, a Play and an Epilogue
- 36. The Master of Mrs. Chilvers
- 37. Robina in Search of a Husband
- 38. Malvina of Brittany
- 39. The Street of the Blank Wall and Other Stories
- 40. All Roads Lead to Calvary
- 41. Anthony John, a Biography
- 42. The Celebrity. A Play in three Acts
- 43. My Life and Times
- 44. The Soul of Nicholas Snyders
- 45. A Comment on Bicycles and Cycling Posters in the Nineties